Grigorios Papamichael studied Theology in the School of Halki. After teaching for some years in Sofia, he earned his PhD from the University of St. Petersburgh. From 1905 to 1907, he taught in the Theological School of Jerusalem. He became the chief editor of 'Ekklisiastikos Faros' and 'Pantainos' and in 1918, he was elected in the Chair of Apologetics in the University of Athens. He also taught in the Rizareios school, which he directed from 1937 to 1940.
Papamichael later became the Provost of the University, a member of the Academy in 1945 and later its president in 1954. He was also the editor of the journals 'Theologia' and 'Ekklisia'. He was also the author of more that 70 books and journal articles.